Brad Pitt Drama Wins Top Prize at Cannes Film Fest
Robert De Niro, 2011 chair of the Cannes Film Festival”s selection jury, announced the winner of the Palme d”Or at Sunday”s closing ceremony in the South of France.
“Tree of Life,” a 1950″s drama starring Brad Pitt and Sean Penn, and directed by Terrence Malick, won the prestigious top prize. Two producers accepted, reports CBS News.
Pitt appeared at the Cannes screening of “Tree of Life” last week, but has flown with Angelina Jolie and their family to Hollywood this weekend for Jolie”s “Kung Fu Panda 2″ premiere, so he was unable to attend the film fest”s closing ceremony.
And although controversial director Lars von Trier was banned from Cannes events after Nazi and Hitler remarks he made at a festival press conference, the star of his latest film, Kirsten Dunst, won the trophy for Best Actress.
In addition to De Niro, other members of this year”s Cannes jury included Uma Thurman and Jude Law. Check out Brad Pitt in the “Tree of Life” trailer:
- Brad Pitt: "Don"t get me started" on religion
- Forget Critics, Brad Pitt Just Wants to Impress His Kids
- New Woody Allen film opens Cannes Film Fest
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Looking to Reteam Onscreen
- Cannes 2011: Angelina pulls out all the stops for premiere of Brad"s labour of love