Critics" Circle names "Book of Mormon" top musical
NEW YORK — The New York Drama Critics” Circle has voted “Good People” the best play of the season, “Jerusalem” the best foreign play and “The Book of Mormon” the season”s best musical.
The group on Monday also handed out special citations to the revival of “The Normal Heart,” Mark Rylance for his dual performances in “La Bete” and “Jerusalem,” and for the direction, design and puppetry of “War Horse.”
The Circle is composed of drama critics from daily newspapers, magazines, wire services and websites based in the New York metropolitan area.
While the vote for best play went to four ballots, the musical category was quickly decided, with “The Book of Mormon” winning 17 of the 24 votes cast.
- "Book of Mormon" Scores Big With Most Tony Award Nominations
- Composing "The Book of Mormon" With "South Park" Creators Was Like Being In a Band, Says Writer
- "Book of Mormon" leads Tony nominations
- Zany "The Book of Mormon" will convert you
- Spotted: Sandra Bullock Has Girls" Night Out With "Mormon" Friends